In Your Own Language!

Sunday 5 August 2012

Disgusted By The Lack Of Sensitivity In My Friend!

For the past few days, I am yearning to do something new and meaningful. When I stumbled upon the idea of teaching the slum children, I could barely wait to start. I wanted to share my motivation with my best friend, S, who is in her first year of college, studying Zoology Honors.

While coming back from tuition, I decided to stop by her place. It was afternoon and she was preparing to take her midday slumber. She was shocked to see me there. I quickly shared my thoughts regarding my cause and asked her to work beside me. She patiently listened to my proposal but refused to take part in it as she will be soon starting her second year in college. I felt sad not because she refused but because she gave the excuse that she will be starting college. I would have admired it if she would have told me that she did not want to do it. I refused to belief that she does not have three hours to spare in a week.

I was deeply affected by her refusal as I respected her. She was my role model. But these days, I find it hard to communicate with her. Whenever I talk to her; I feel a strange distance between us; her refusal haunts me.
I understand that she has responsibilities towards her family; I respect her for recognizing those responsibilities. But I don’t respect her for forgetting the responsibility that she has for her society. I am very close to S we are like sisters. We often go out for movies; talk endlessly over the phone gossiping or updating each other about the daily soaps. In short we waste endless amount of time doing nothing; but we hardly realize that.

I don’t believe in the fact that education is everything. That’s just one aspect of one’s personality. I am a staunch believer in extra-curricular activities. I have often heard people saying that just by teaching small number of slum children; nothing will change. But my point is if we don’t try then how will we know what will be the outcome. It’s all about motivation which until few weeks back I lacked. But now I have realized my responsibilities towards my society and I will definitely never give up without trying.

After all, Michael Jordan has said,

I can accept failure; everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying......


No comments:

Post a Comment