In Your Own Language!

Saturday 25 August 2012

How To Find Inner Peace?

Life can sometimes be unpredictable. I have often faced moments, when all I wanted to do was to find a place where I will feel at peace with myself. I face most of my differences in thought with my parents. My parents are generally liberal but at times they become so orthodox that I feel like tearing my hair.
Few months back, I had the worst disagreement with my mother. My mother is obstinate; she has a tendency to hold on to her opinions and never bending them even when someone shows her the light.
My mother wants me to study in Lady Brabourne College which according to her best option left to me. The college is said to be one of the best college in Kolkata for girls but having taken classes, I have a different opinion. The teaching method is the same old way of dictating notes, students copying then and ultimately vomiting then in the university papers.
So I told my mother that I don’t want to study in that college. My mother was adamant. She stopped talking to me. She complained about me to my father and asked him to not talk to me. After a point I had to give in as she was making life hard for me.
Giving in is the hardest thing that I have done till now. I am a carefree, happy go lucky girl. I don’t like feeling restricted and bounded. One day, I was feeling so helpless that I broke down. The continuous pressure of my college and my mother was too much for me to take. I was crying heavily and planned to leave my home for few days. I was feeling disgusted that nobody tried to understand me. I went to my neighbour whom I dearly call Jathima (Elder mother). I told her that I am leaving. She was very calm. She asked me why I wanted to take such a big step. I proudly told her that I don’t want to stay in a place where my dreams and my opinions are not respected.
My Jathima listened to my opinions intently and then asked me to ponder on my decision. I was still burning with resentment. Therefore, I was not thinking logically.
Much later when I have calmed down a bit, my Jathima gave me the most important lesson of my life. She told me that no matter where I go I can never feel at peace with myself until I feel it inside my heart. Happiness comes from within. She also added that by running away, I can never learn to face my problems. The real challenge lies in facing the problem head on and then moving forward. She asked me to do my work patiently and find peace in something which gives me pleasure.
Hearing her lofty words, I became aware of the stupid mistake that I was about to make. I slowly got myself together and decided to go on with my work. Even though at times I feel lost; I feel that I don’t know where I will go; I try to have my faith in God intact. I know that after all these difficulties; God will definitely have something great in store for me next yearJ...
"Happiness is the art of never holding in your mind the memory of any unpleasant thing that has passed~ unknown"

No comments:

Post a Comment