In Your Own Language!

Saturday 3 November 2012

Durga Puja 2012 (Part 3)

The two things I love about Kolkata are her vibrancy and her diversity of culture. To me, there is no other festival, in which year after year, artists experiment and play with their imagination to come up with unique themes.

I don't exactly remember the day when I fell in love with pandal hopping, could be during the happy days between my adolescence and adulthood. This year, it was extra special because of my blog. I wanted my visitors to get a glimpse of the place where I grew up, where I learnt to dream.
These pictures are for you, my darling readers! Enjoy!

Telenga Bagan
Theme: Usage of 25 tons of Iron to capture the rich artistic heritage of Kolkata
The images of Goddess Durga, Saraswati, Lakhsmi and God Ganesh, kartik
were sculpted on metal plates
Maa Durga
Lord Ganesh and Devi Saraswati
Devi Saraswati And Lord Kartik

The following textures are taken from scripts from the puranas



The confluence of the feminine (calm)
and the masculine (ferocious)



Dumdum Prabhat Sangha
Theme: Beach 

Pillar made with coloured coke bottle caps

Dumdum Park
Theme: The amalgamation of all the colors



Devi Durga
Her Children
Ekdalia
Famous for: The huge light hanging which is brought 

every year from Rajasthan

Hindusthan Park
Theme: After the journey through the hell comes the
light, the illumination.



Maa Durga's Third Eye (Tri Nayan)



If looked carefully, the four colored Tri Nayans, depict
the various moods of Devi Durga

Maa with her Children

Jodhpur Park, 95 Pally
Theme: Devi Durga is in the books (knowledge)

The more knowledge we gain, the more stronger we 
become to fight the evil and eradicating
it from the society.



Maa Durga
Maa Durga with her children
P.S: For more pictures, visit the following links:
Kolkata at her best (part 3)
Kolkata at her Best (part 2)

3 comments:

  1. so beautiful pics...you really love photography...plz follow my blog at http://lifemystage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all these pictures! I come from little money, so I've never had the chance to travel. Your pictures definitely gave me a sense of your culture I couldn't have attained through a typical magazine article. Just lovely! So colorful too - wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it...Though some of the pictures are a tad hazy...will be uploading some more soon!!!

      Delete