In Your Own Language!

Monday 6 August 2012

The "Chicken Bharta" Incident

I have faced some real challenges while cooking Chicken Bharta.

I live in a complex. We occasionally have Addas (small Get Togethers) in our Para which are often accompanied by Jal Khabar (Feast). In one such occasion, the members in our committee decided to put together a menu of Laccha Paratha, Chicken Bharta, Dal Makhani and Rasogolla. My brother is a fan of Chicken Bharta. Therefore, when I was having my food along with him; he mockingly challenged me to cook Chicken Bharta for him. Not any Chicken Bharta but the best Chicken Bharta made by Alibaba, a restaurant in our locality which specializes in Mughlai recipes. Since I am an egoist, I accepted my brother’s challenge and promised myself that I will be successful in removing that smirk from my brother’s face.

I cook occasionally but before that day I have never cooked chicken Bharta. I collect my recipes from the net and then experiment with them. Therefore, the very next day I started my research. I surf the net and collected quite a number of recipes.

Chicken Bharta is a Mughal dish; it is very flavour full and rich if cooked properly. The chicken should be minced and the blend of spices should be perfect or else the recipe will be a total waste. In short, it required a lot of work. But I was not the one to give up. Therefore, I cooked all the recipes that I have collected. But none of them were that good. Something was missing from all of them; moreover my brother ridiculed them. My brother has a special type of disgusting expression that he gives when my recipes are horrible or moderate. For those recipes, the horrifying, disgusting expression was more frequent than a positive review.

I was on the verge of giving up, until I found a cooking blog which has an awesome picture of a dish containing Chicken Bharta. The picture was quite similar to the Chicken Bharta which I had in Alibaba. I quickly jotted down the recipe in my cooking diary and went on to cooking it the very next day. I complemented the recipe with a dish of Jeera Rice which I got from one of my friend’s mother, Archana aunty. The recipe was fantabulous and I was ecstatic as my brother liked it and he gave a nod of approval. The gravy was of right consistent; the spices were of right proportion. I loved it.

P.S- for everyone else, the best Chicken Bharta recipe is available in the given link-

No comments:

Post a Comment