In Your Own Language!

Tuesday 18 September 2012

On Taking the First Step....1...2...3

“No change will come! There is too much of disparity! One person can’t make a difference!”

I have often heard these pessimistic statements. When I first decided to join social services, people thought that I have gone mad. My parents went forward and said “Pagli” which means “Mad Girl”. They could not believe that their day dreaming daughter finally wanted to do something good and thought that this was another of my whims.

Though I was self conscious at first, I slowly indulged myself into activities. My brother, Hirak, was my pillar of strength. Hirak is three years younger to me but we are friends.

One week prior to joining the NGO, My brother and I were deeply engrossed in an argument, where I was the pessimist and he was the optimist.

He told me “Didi (elder sister), You can make a difference!”

I pessimistically told him “One person cannot make a difference”.

He was hurt by my hopeless words as I am his source of inspiration and guidance. My words crushed his spirits and made me look small in front of him.

He told me wearily “Didi, a house starts with a brick. Imagine that the first brick is not there. Then....Can you build the house?”

I was shocked when I processed what he wanted me to say. He wanted me to understand that I am the first brick; he wanted me to take the first step towards doing something for my Country. His thoughtful words resuscitated my broken spirit and gave me the direction to a good cause.

I realised my mistake. I quit thinking what other will think about me. I just followed my heart. I joined a NGO that deals with the upliftment of the under- priviledged children. This whole new feeling of experimenting with my life makes me dizzy with joy. It has made my life adventurous and worthwhile.

These days, when people tell me those gloomy words; I laugh and tell them “Anyone can Make a Difference. It’s all about taking the first step. The rest will follow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment