In Your Own Language!

Thursday 20 September 2012

Fake Modernists (Part 2)

These days, going to the pub, drinking and smoking has become quite common. Almost everyone does it.

But the problem arises when someone heavily indulges in them.

My best friend, S, told me that two of her friends, P and N, are alcoholics. They often finish two three bottles of beer in empty stomach; as a result, on their way home, they become unconscious. The responsibility, to take them home, falls on the person who is accompanying them.

Sohu has a big heart; therefore when she got to know about this, she was horrified. She was scared that somebody will take advantage of them, in their delicately unconscious situation. Out of goodwill, she decided to voice her opinions. She warned her friends to reduce their alcohol intake and told them about the dangers attached to heavy drinking.

Sadly, her good suggestions were ignored. Few days later, she got to know that her friends have tagged her “Miss Old fashioned”. Moreover, she got to know from a common friend that P and N don’t consider her to be a good influence to their group. She was too prude to be considered a “Sophisticated Modernist”.

That night, when I called S, she informed me about this incident; she was morose and heartbroken. She had already started to doubt her morals.
I loved her too much to leave her in that condition. I knew that she was not wrong. After talking for hours, I finally succeeded in cheering her up. I told her to ignore P and Nat’s scathing opinions about her. When I saw that she has finally come back to normality, I relaxed and kept the phone.

I was so angry at those two girls that I could have killed them for making fun of my best friend and her great worldly morals. But as I started to calm down, I only felt regret, not for thinking of killing them but for their childish immature behaviours.   

A “Modernist” is not the one who indulges in smoking or drinking; it’s the one who takes the best of the east and the west. The mixing of the goods of the two different cultures makes a person “Modern”.

No comments:

Post a Comment